Monday, August 18, 2014

My First and Last British Wedding

For three years I have been desperate to get invited to a British wedding. Why? Because of the hats! Do you remember the parade of incredible hats during the Royal wedding? It turns out, that wasn't unique. Brits love wearing intricate, colorful, huge hats and fascinators to formal events. I wore one during the Jubilee, but I wanted one more excuse before I left the country.

2012 Queen's Jubilee

I really lucked out when my friends Charity and Brock got engaged. Though they are both American, they live here in Harrogate and decided to get married here. The wedding was last week, just ten days before we leave England. Just in the nick of time! My friend Becky lent me the most amazing fascinator--I was ready!


The wedding took place at Rudding Park, which was recently voted one of the best hotels in England! The ceremony, performed by Brock's college roommate in an old chapel was stunning. Charity and Brock are both very traditional, and this suited them perfectly.


Guests threw bird seed at the happy couple as they exited the chapel.



Next up was the cocktail hour--always one of my favorite times at a wedding. The passed hors d'oeuvres were phenomenal. My favorites were the adorable little fish and chips served in a newspaper cone and the lush brownie bites.


Dinner and dancing followed. I had to sneak back home to put Zahara to bed (she was with a babysitter during the ceremony), so I missed the cake cutting and speeches. Apparently Charity's dad made everyone cry with his super emotional tribute to his daughter. Even Dan admitted getting choked up.


Charity and Brock took dance lessons for their first dance, and it really paid off. They were adorable. Nervous, but cute.


It was such a fun celebration, and a great way to end my time here in England. Congratulations Charity and Brock!





No comments:

Post a Comment