Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Jamming Out with Frozen Raspberries

It is that miraculous time in Harrogate when the sun actually shines for more than two days in a row! Everyone in town is sporting shorts, flip flops and killer sun burns--though the highs are only in the 60s. Since you never know how long it will last (last year's summer was one glorious week in May), I'm trying to take advantage of it while I can.

Something that always makes me think of summer is berry jam. It is just so fresh and delicious. And the best part is, if I make jam now, I can enjoy it all year long! Berries are just coming into season and aren't quite ready to be the star of my jam. No problem. It turns out frozen raspberries work just as well.

Costco frozen raspberries

I used to be intimidated by the whole canning process, but this is seriously the easiest, fastest jam ever. 

Ingredients:
  • Equal parts sugar and raspberries (I used 900 grams of each, which made 5 jars)
  • Small pat of butter


900 grams (31 ounces!!) of sugar

Directions:
  • Start by preparing your jars and lids.
  • If using frozen berries, allow them to defrost slightly (10 minutes on the counter should do it). 
  • Place berries in a pot and cook over medium heat, lightly mashing the berries as they cook. 
  • Bring berries to a boil; boil for 1-2 minutes.
  • Add sugar and bring back to a boil. 
  • Add a small pat of butter. This keeps the jam glossy and helps eliminate foam.
  • Allow to boil for another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Ladle into your sterilized jars.




You can keep the jam in the fridge as is, or you can "process" it to make it shelf-stable. To process the jam, place your jars in a large stockpot of boiling water. Make sure the jars are upright and have at least an inch of water covering the top of the lids. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove jars (keeping them upright) and allow to cool and process for 24 hours.  



And that's it! With about 30 minutes of work you can have delicious homemade raspberry jam! Enjoy!

See my other jam-making exploits here:

1 comment:

  1. Raspberry jam is my favorite! Although I haven't tried the strawberry-rhubarb ...

    ReplyDelete