Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Very Happy Birthday

Yesterday was Dan's birthday and we spent the day together celebrating. My only obligation was not to have the baby, and I'm happy to report that I succeeded! In case you don't know, Dan and I are HUGE birthday lovers, so having our own separate birthdays is a big deal. (See last year's birthday celebrations here, here, here, and here.)

Unlike last year's huge birthday blow-out, this year was a bit more subdued. After a nice breakfast at home, Dan went to work for a few hours. We had a midwife appointment mid-day though, so we decided to make an afternoon of it. We started with milkshakes at Mojo. I bought a Living Social deal for two large milkshakes with two toppings each...talk about sugar coma! I had a Twix milkshake with mini Oreos and smarties. Dan had the chocolate brownie shake with minstrels and mini Oreos. WOW. I felt awesome and disgusting at the same time. I am sure I looked so stereotypical with my huge belly and my huge milkshake.


After our appointment (everything looks great! Baby's doing well!) we went for lunch at one of my favorite spots--Crepes and Cremes. This cute little cafe is only open during the day, so for the almost-two years that Dan's lived here he's never been able to go. The lunch did not disappoint. So yummy!


Dan was going to head back in to work, but come on...it was his birthday. You only get one a year! He wisely decided to take the rest of the day off and play hookey with me. We walked all over town soaking up the unusually sunny day.

For dinner Dan requested fried chicken. I upped the ante by making chicken and waffles. How have I never had this before? It was amazing. The combination of the sweet waffle with the crunchy, salty chicken was divine. I loved it, and more importantly, so did Dan. Unfortunately, we were too excited to eat to get any pictures, so you'll just have to imagine it in your mind. Or, you can recreate it with these recipes: fried chicken, waffles. I substituted rice milk for milk in both recipes and you couldn't tell a difference at all.

It's hard to believe that this, our ninth year we've celebrated birthdays together, will be our last as a family of two. Happy birthday Dan! Here's to many, many more happy years together. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great birthday for Dan! Calli - that picture shows off your new haircut perfectly -- it looks great!

    ReplyDelete