Monday, March 4, 2013

Making Tea Time Pretty

A secret fact about me is that I love organizing. I hate cleaning, but I never mind tidying up and putting everything in its proper place. I even read a blog called I Heart Organizing!

I Heart Organizing Blog

Last week I Heart Organizing featured kitchen reorganization. I felt inspired to make my daily tea a little prettier. I grabbed two jars from my ridiculous jar collection, printed a free label from google images, whipped out my chalkboard paint (leftover from this project) and got to work.


I am not an artist, so free-handing things doesn't usually work for me. Instead, I googled "pretty labels" and found a bunch of free art that I could print out, cut out and tape to my jar to use as a template.


After tracing the outline of the label, I filled the rest in and let it dry for 24 hours. Then, following the paint instructions, I baked both jars at 300 degrees F for 35 minutes. Once the jars cooled, I lightly rubbed chalk over the label. This is an important step that I skipped when I made my cheese platter and wish I hadn't. My chalk writing leaves more permanent outlines on the platter because it wasn't prepared correctly.


And here's the final reveal...


Aren't they adorable? The thing I love most about this project is that it was FREE! It was also really simple, and really fun. Total hands-on time was only about 15-20 minutes. The hardest part was waiting the 24 hours for it to dry!

Chalkboard paint is kind of like Pringles; once you pop you can't stop. I may have gotten a bit carried away with this, but so far I'm loving the results. Here's a sneak preview of what happened next.


Tell me I'm not the only one with a chalkboard paint and/or organizing obsession. What have you organized lately?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! You probably already know this but Martha Stewart sells some premade chalkboard labels that work great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have seen those, but not in England where I'm living now. Plus, I had some chalk paint leftover from another project so this was free. Who doesn't love a free project? :)

    ReplyDelete