Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Guest Post: Off to a Warmer Climate

Hi everyone! I'm out of town at the moment, but my friend and former co-worker, Chelsea, volunteered to write about her trip to Iceland. Prepare to be as jealous as I am. Iceland is definitely on my to-do list, so I can't wait to hear about Chelsea's adventures!  

This title could work for both me and Calli, and I just love the image it gives. While Calli is off in Israel, she graciously let me take over her blog for a few days. I love writing mine, and can't wait to share my adventures with even more people.

As you can probably guess, we're an Air Force family. My husband is active duty and has kept us pretty busy moving around the globe. Last year, we were stationed in Korea. Thankfully, we get to spend a bit more time in Germany, where we're currently stationed. On a personal note, I have a soft-spot for out-of-the-way destinations. France will always be there, but India or Turkey? Maybe not. While I've enjoyed my travels to Paris, London, and Edinburgh; it's the smaller places that have truly found a place in my heart.

Enter Iceland. My whole life, I've been fascinated by the Northern Lights, volcanoes, glaciers, dog-sleds, geysers, lava, and hot water. When I found out all these things existed in one place, I just had to visit. The more I researched Iceland, the more I fell in love with the idea of it. It's a land of hidden worlds, and old myths-- all with a climate that's no worse than the East Coast.

While I was looking through my guide book, I came across this passage:

" Once you've seen some of the lava fields, and eerie natural formations that characterize most of the Icelandic landscape, it probably comes as no surprise that Icelanders believe their country is populated by hidden races of wee people - gnomes, elves, fairies, dwarves, lovelings, mountain spirits, angels, and 'hidden people.' ....in fact, construction on roads and homes in Hafnarffjordur is only permitted after is has been determined that the site in question is not already populated by wee people. " (Lonely Planet)

What a magical place! I can only imagine what it must be like to live somewhere so stately and serene that you could picture a fairy tale happening in your backyard. I haven't left yet, but it looks like I have a lot to look forward to! Check back in for updates as my friend, Blair, and I soak in geothermal pools, hunt the Northern lights, man (woman?) a dog-sled, hike a glacier, and eat delicious seafood!

Thanks for sharing, Chelsea! Like me, Chelsea is an American living in Europe and she's got some great stories to tell. Be sure to check out her blog, Chelsea's Air Force Life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment