Tuesday, June 19, 2012

International Sushi Day

Yesterday was International Sushi Day and my friends and I celebrated in style. I am a HUGE fan of sushi and would eat it every day if I could. The only thing I'm not crazy about in Harrogate (besides the weather) is that we don't have sushi here. No worries, we made our own!

My friend Katie suggested that we co-host a sushi night as part of our regular Monday night dinner rotation. Since International Sushi Day fell on a Monday, it was perfect timing.

Katie making sushi rice

Cooling the rice

Adding Sriracha to spicy noodles

We bought a ton of fresh salmon and tuna and had people make their own rolls. We also made spicy peanut noodles; a salad with Japanese dressing; and mango sticky rice and green tea cheesecake for dessert.





Sushi roll ingredients


Our friends who lived in Hawaii for a few years brought poke and lomi lomi salmon. It was my first time having them and they were awesome!


As a pre-birthday celebration, Dan got the gang to do sake bombs.





The weather even cooperated for us! What a great night!



4 comments:

  1. That looks like such a fun and delicious party!! I had sushi last night, too, so I can pretend I was with you, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I wish you were here for real though. Soon!

      Delete
  2. Everything looks delicious! Well done Calli and Katie! I would love to learn how to make some of those things when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely plan on doing more of these, so we'll do the next one when you're in town!

      Delete