Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Spouses on Sabbatical Update

I owe you guys an update on my Spouses on Sabbatical projects.  This group has really taken off!  We meet once a week at a different member's house each time.  Next week I'll be hosting again.

There are six members: Alisha, Rachel, Nick, Karen, Katie and myself.

Spouses on Sabbatical

So, how am I doing on my S.O.S. projects

  • Makeover a kitchen table 
As you know, I finished my table.  I'm really enjoying it!  Now that I've lived with it a while, the tiny imperfections make it all the more charming :)
I have big updates on my pine box.  Hopefully I can get to that post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here's a sneak peak:
I ran into some difficulties making the pillows, and may have mentioned something about a murder/suicide plan in the height of my frustration.  Don't worry, I won't actually hurt anyone.  But I did need to find a different tutorial on how to make my pillow.  Once I got the new one, it went much better and I created a cute little throw.  One down, one to go.
Very Ironic T-Shirt Pillow

  • Continue learning Russian
Het (means "no" in Russian).  Haven't done a thing on this.
  • Find/makeover two chairs for the living room bay window
Got really close last week at the auction, but no.  I'm still looking.
  • Find/makeover two nightstands for the guest bedroom
Ditto from above.  Got close at last week's auction, but I'm still looking.
  • Find/makeover kitchen table chairs [Bought chairs, will makeover soon]
Got a steal  at the auction last week!  I bought two chairs and a table for £15!  I'm going to put the table in the conservatory and use the chairs in the kitchen.  They're in great shape, but they aren't exactly lookers.  Don't worry though.  I have a plan.
  • Make a light fixture for exercise room (like this). [Bought some supplies]
I bought the twine for this project, and I found a recipe for how to make my own mod podge, but I can't find a ball the right size.  I may have to look online.
  • Buy/make artwork for above the living room couch (really want this, but they can't ship it here)
I'm still kind of bummed that I couldn't get that map, but I got a really neat poster instead.  It's hard to describe, so I'll take a picture and show you soon.
  • Lean how to use my Panasonic Lumix to take better pictures
Haven't done this yet, but three out of the six S.O.S.ers have a Lumix and we all want to learn how to use it better.  I think this project will come up soon.
In addition to working on my own projects, I've also been working on some of Rachel's.  Specifically, she wants to learn how to be a better cook.  Who doesn't, right?  So Nick, who has professional culinary training and has worked in a restaurant, is helping us with our knife skills and our sauces.

Our Knife Gang



Sticky Toffee Pudding!

I'm having a great time and really learning a lot.  The only down side is that I'm making poor Dan very jealous.  When ever he feels like he's missing out too much though, he can look at this and feel a lot better.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Calli,

    It's Amy.

    I just wanted to let you know that "нет" means "no", in Russian.

    Because you were typing, in English, you wrote "Het".

    Russian and English letters are not the same. "нет" is in Russian letters while "Het" is in English letters.

    "нет", in English, is spelled "net" but is pronounced how you would pronounce the word, in Russian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Calli,

    Saw this on Pinterest and it reminded me of the light fixture you mentioned wanting to make in your blog. Check it out!

    http://pinterest.com/pin/11329436532096268/

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete