Saturday, November 19, 2011

Getting Organized

Today marks the one-month anniversary of moving in to our new place!  And no, I still haven't shown you pictures yet.  I know, I know...I'm getting to it. 

Slowly but surely the place is really starting to feel like home.  We've unpacked everything and are now just trying to find places for our stuff to go.  We haven't done any decorating yet, but everything is nicely laid out in our conservatory waiting for me.  It's kind of like my own decor shop. 

One of the first things we had to do in the house is figure out a clothes storage system.  Like most British houses, our abode does not come with too many closets.  We're incredibly fortunate to have built-in storage in the kitchen, and we have a big closet in the guest bedroom, but there is no closet in the master bedroom.  Since we have a surplus of rooms (I know, poor us), we decided to turn the smallest bedroom into a dressing room.

In a huge blogging faux pas, I do not have any "before" pictures of the room, but you can imagine it, right?  It was a tiny room that was barely big enough for a crib and changing table, which is what the last tenants used it for.   It does have a gorgeous window that lets in tons of light and 10 foot ceilings though!  Yay for old houses with character!

In order to make our closet come to life, we purchased a clothes organizing system from closet maid.  Dan and I then put it together and drilled it into the wall.  The drilling was mostly Dan.  Here's the during:

 And here's the after:


We still have some work to do in this room.  I need to add some sort of low table to store my jewelery and makeup, and I'd like to add some artwork.  But for now, these shelves have added an incredible amount of storage and function to this room. 

4 comments:

  1. Love it....can't wait to see it in person!
    Love,
    Your first guest! (mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that leaning mirror! Good job on the close organization Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I SOOOOO need to plan a visit to come see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got plenty of room for guests and would love to see you! Come on over :)

    ReplyDelete